How wonderful to be watch wild animals visiting your garden and if you’d like to help and encourage hedgehogs, they will surely visit your garden if you put out any of the following:
- Hedgehog food found in garden centres and pet shops
- Cat/dog meat – chicken in jelly preferably - no fish or meat in gravy.
- Cat biscuits but not fish flavour
- Dried mealworms, crushed peanuts and/or sunflower seeds (just the hearts).
- Water in a shallow bowl
- No bread or milk – it makes them ill
How to stop other animals from stealing the food.
Buy or build a small feeding station/house to put the food in. These tend to be built so that only hedgehogs can get into them.
Put the food under a tile or a platform to prevent other animals stealing it. It also keeps it drier, especially if you put things out like biscuits.
Keep the water OUTSIDE the feeding station unless it’s freezing and then put it inside.